Thursday, January 03, 2008

Stomp - Merriam Theater

At Alma De Cuba for Drinks after the show



Making it's one week only engagement in Philly, STOMP at the Merriam Theater Dec. 26 through Jan. 2

It’s always nice to take in a show with a group of friends. So when one of my girlfriends recommended we all get together for dinner, a show and drinks I was like, let’s go.

It was kind of a rough week for me (I was broke) so I skip dinner and met up with them at the theater to see STOMP. A show I been meaning to see ever since it hit Broadway fifteen years ago.

Merriam Theater is a small theater, so I never saw the point in buying front roll tickets, so we got the cheap seats, which were fine. I was able to see everything.

STOMP, is a unique combination of percussion, movement and visual comedy, I enjoyed the show so much, that my girlfriends and I wanted to start up our own show………well sort of.

Only thing about STOMP, it reminded me a lot of the Fraternities Step Shows that have been performed for last 50 or so years by Africans Americans. So it got me to thinking, did the creators of STOMP use the Step Shows as a back drop for their Broadway hit.

Stepping is a rhythmic performance art practiced by black greeks across the nation. It combines intricate footwork, foot stomps, vocals and handclaps. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm!

http://www.mndaily.com/articles/2006/01/31/66890

http://www.stompshow.com/information.php?info_id=3

No comments: